Areas of Practice

The Law Office of Maria H. Barrett is a full service immigration firm with experience in a wide array of immigration issues. Our team can advise you on how best to achieve your immigration goals. Navigating the complex bureaucracy that is American immigration is daunting, and it is highly advisable to hire an expert to guide you through the process. Mistakes can cost you time, opportunity, and money. As an immigrant herself, Attorney Barrett is no stranger to the process. Our firm can provide you the expertise and representation that will ensure your success.

Contact Us Today

  • Traveling to the United States: Depending on where you live, the ease with which leisure travel to the United States can be achieved varies considerably. For countries that are not on the visa waiver program, our firm can help you prepare your visa applications. The State Department will issue visas based upon your propensity to return. For this reason, some countries receive severe scrutiny and others little.
  • Immigration Visas: To be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, a foreign citizen must be sponsored by a U.S. citizen relative, U.S. lawful permanent resident, or a prospective employer, with a few exceptions. The sponsor begins the immigration process by filing a petition on the foreign citizen’s behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
    • Family Based: If you want to become a lawful permanent resident based on the fact that you have a relative who is a citizen of the United States or is a lawful permanent resident, your relative in the United States will need to sponsor you and prove he/she has enough income or assets to support you, the intending immigrant(s) when in the United States.
    • Work Based: A U.S. employer can sponsor certain skilled workers who will be hired into permanent jobs. In some specialized fields, U.S. law allows prospective immigrants to sponsor themselves. In addition, U.S. law provides a number of special immigrant categories, as well as an immigrant investor program.
  • Permanent Residency (also known as the “Green Card”)A Green Card holder (permanent resident) is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “Green Card.” You can become a permanent resident several different ways. Most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. Other individuals may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian programs.
  • Citizenship: Citizenship in the United States is gained in one of two ways; by birth or naturalization. Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
  • Humanitarian: The United States has a variety of humanitarian programs and protections to aide individuals in need of shelter or assistance from disasters, oppression, emergency medical issues or other extenuating and extreme circumstances.  These include but are not limited to the following groups:
    • Refugees
    • Asylum
    • Battered Spouse, Children and Parents
    • Victims of Human Trafficking and Other Crimes
    • Temporary Protected Status
    • Deferred Enforced Departure
    • Special Immigrant Juveniles
    • Female Genital Mutilation
    • Forced Marriage
    • Other Special Situations